Mold & Fungus On Your Firewood

How do you know if it’s safe to burn?

If you’re going to burn firewood, there’s a good chance you’re going to come across mold and fungus at one point or another, so it’s important to know a few simple things to make sure you’re burning safely.

Because mold grows on almost every tree out there, that doesn’t mean every piece of firewood is useless. Knowing how much mold is too much, knowing the colour of the mold, and knowing the condition of the mold can help protect you from using firewood that could potentially harm you. It is also important to know how you can be preventative in keeping your wood mold-free once it’s been delivered to your location.

Most commonly when we see mold we assume the firewood is unusable, but this is simply not true. Mold spores are a completely natural part of our environment, and actually pose an important purpose of breaking down dead organic matter found in forests – so some mold is actually good! But, if your firewood is rotting and there is visible mold and mildew on the log, it’s best not to burn it. If your wood however has mold that easily brushes off, then it’s safe to assume that your firewood has been dried out properly, and you can brush off the mold and throw it on the fire to burn without any cause for concern.

Mycelium is a white fungus found on firewood.

Mycelium is a white fungus found on firewood.

There is, however, more to mold than just the amount; and that is the colour of the mold. White and green mold are the most typical colours we associate with mold that grows on trees, it’s the most commonly seen mold and is generally not associated with hazardous side effects if dealt with correctly. However, when the mold is black and/or purple in colour, this indicates a more hazardous type of mold and should not been burnt, and should also be extracted from the pile.

The way we stack, and where we stack our firewood is extremely important in ensuring the proper conditions so mold cannot grow. That’s why it is recommended to stack and store your wood in a dry, moisture free location, as mold grows in damp and moist environments. So stick to stacking outside, or in a garage or shed, and always try to cover your wood pile with a tarp to keep the elements away.

Avoid stacking your wood inside your house as this can cause problems as mold spores become airborne and can travel to other surfaces. When these mold spores are airborne and end up on different surfaces, this is when people typically see problems with their allergies and asthma arise. Placing a few logs beside your fire is generally the best bet – and lets you enjoy the warmth without having to run outside to collect firewood every few hours!

 We understand that even with our extensive efforts to ensure we are delivering the best, mold-free firewood to you, that there can still be a chance that you’ve been delivered firewood with mold on it. Our promise is to provide you with firewood that we would burn in our own homes – that’s why if you ever encounter mold on your firewood we want to hear from you right away to make sure you have the quality firewood that we constantly aim to deliver on.